British singer George Michael, 53, dies
Wednesday, December 28, 2016
|I am in deep shock. I have lost a beloved friend — the kindest, most generous soul and a brilliant artist.|
Michael’s publicist released the following statement toand : “It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period. The family would ask that their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time.” He also reported that Michael had died of heart failure and “passed away peacefully”.
said via , “I am in deep shock. I have lost a beloved friend — the kindest, most generous soul and a brilliant artist. My heart goes out to his family and all of his fans.”
George Michael was born Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou in London. Over his multi-decade career, he sold more than 100 million records. Along with co-singer he became famous as part of the duo band . Together, Michael and Ridgeley produced several hit songs, such as , , and . In 1985, Wham! was the first Western band to play in China since the beginning of the country’s strategy. Wham! dissolved in 1986. In 1984, Michael recorded the successful single . Michael was credited as the solo artist in the United Kingdom and as “Wham! featuring George Michael” in the United States. Michael released a hit solo album in 1987, containing hits like .
Michael’s life was troubled by both substance abuse and issues with his sexuality. He initially hid his identity as a gay man from his fans, only after a very public arrest for public lewdness in 1998. He would later be arrested for possession of drugs and driving under the influence of drugs. He was sentenced to eight weeks in prison in 2010 for crashing a Range Rover into a storefront while under the influence of drugs and possession of cannabis.
Michael had a history of transforming his negative experiences into art. He wrote White Light about a serious case of pneumonia that led to his hospitalization in 2011, and the music video for Outside, which followed on the heels of his arrest and coming out, showed scenes of a men’s bathroom, a dance club, and men kissing while in police uniforms. He would perform White Light live at the 2012 London Olympics.
- “Award winning singer George Michael cautioned after caught with drugs in London public toilet” — Wikinews, September 21, 2008
- “New Band Aid music video is launched” — Wikinews, November 18, 2004
- “George Michael’s partner Fadi Fawaz tells of finding star dead in bed” — , December 27, 2016
- “George Michael: Pop superstar dies at 53” — , December 27, 2016
- Aurelie Corinthios. “George Michael Was Found Dead in Bed by His Boyfriend Fadi Fawaz: ‘I Will Never Stop Missing You’” — , December 26, 2016
- Ari Shapiro and Ann Rogers. “Remembering George Michael’s Radical Impact on Pop Music” — , December 26, 2016
- James Masters, Ian James Lee, and Lorenzo Agostino. “George Michael: World pays tribute to global superstar” — , December 26, 2016
- Andrew Unterberger. “The 15 Greatest George Michael Songs: Critic’s Take” — , December 25, 2016
- Jon Pareles. “George Michael, Pop Superstar, Is Dead at 53” — , December 25, 2016